Question Can I get legal advice from the Prosecutor's office?
The attorneys in the office are prohibited, by law, from giving legal advice.

Question Why won't the prosecutor talk to the person charged with a felony if they call?
If the person has an attorney appointed by the court, or has retained an attorney, we are not allowed to speak to them. If the person does not have an attorney, we can't speak to them alone, or we could become a witness in the case.

Question What happens after charges are filed?
At the arraignment, the person charged with the crime enters a plea of guilty or not guilty to the charge. If, at any time, during the case, the person enters a plea of guilty to the charge the case will go to sentencing, either the same day or at a later date, where the court decides what punishment is appropriate. If there is no plea of guilty the case will normally proceed to trial.

Question How can I get my record expunged/removed from my criminal history?
Contact the Administrative Office of the Courts for a brochure on this topic at
PDF File iconA Guide on When and How to Challenge, Seal, Vacate or Expunge

Question Where do I go to file a complaint or to get charges filed as a crime?
Crimes are reported to the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over where the crime occurred. For example, if the crime occurred in Pasco, Washington, this may be the Pasco Police Department or Franklin County Sheriff's Office.

Question How do I take care of a warrant I have?
Contact the court and make arrangements to appear on the next docket day.

Question Can I be present in court?
Court hearings are open to the public and anyone may attend. Sometimes witnesses may be excluded from a trial until they testify. The deputy prosecutor will notify you if this is the case.

Question How do I get a copy of my file?
Submit a written request to the applicable law enforcement agency.